Friday, April 14, 2017

Week 10

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful week!

So, today marked my last day on site! I can’t believe SRP are basically over :(


This week, I spent a good chunk of my time on site working on my presentation and finalizing all the details of the variant study! While working on my presentation, I found myself wanted to talk about all the rare diseases I had seen, the neurological tests, and the course of treatment. But, since my research was only specific to one person, I had to limit that and talk about the one patient in lots of detail.



Aside from getting the chance to see so many rare neurological disorders, I think my favorite part of this internship was how interactive I got to be with some of the patients. Whether it was playing with a child while Dr. Narayanan talked to the parent about their problem, or holding a puppet elephant to help test for eye movement, I was able to engage the patient while helping in the evaluation process.

My main goal with this internship was to experience what it was like to work in a doctor's office and learn about how genetics and genetic testing can be used to make personalized treatment plans for each patient. I have truly enjoyed every part of this SRP process!



I’m planning on continuing working with Dr. Narayanan during the summer and will continue learning about the process of exome sequencing! But, a huge thank you to you guys for reading my blog every week (and complimenting my gifs)!

Here's another cute gif! See you guys next week for my final post!


11 comments:

  1. Hi Anjalee! Once again, the gifs give me life. Sounds like you had another great week! It has been quite the experience reading your posts every week, and I always looked forward to it. Thank you for teaching us about such a cool topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello anjalee! i'm so glad you were able to fully experience life in the office and engage with all the children which has been very interesting. thank you for your lovely gifs and always blogging a balance of data and social intereactions! i wish you good luck for you're continuous work in the office and for your future in college and the medical field!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anjalee. It's great to hear that you get to continue your internship throughout the summer. Thanks for posting clear and detailed SRP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anjalee! It's great to see that you have made a lot of progress with your project. I'm glad that you are continuing your research with Dr. Narayanan in the field of rare neurological diseases. As always, I enjoy the gifs. I look forward to seeing your final presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anjalee! I have very much enjoyed reading your blog these last 10 weeks. Your interactions with both the patients and the scientific research is excellent. I look forward to seeing your final presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog was really interesting and I enjoyed it a lot!! I hope you also enjoyed it and learned a lot!! I cant wait for the last week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anjalee! I very much enjoyed reading your blog these last handful of weeks. Your scientific research about family exome sequencing is excellent. I look forward to seeing your final presentation and post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Anjalee! I'm glad you enjoyed your time in the lab and learned a lot about the working environment in a doctor's office! It was a pleasure to read your weekly posts on this 10-week journey :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings Anjalee! Your blog has always been an interesting read, and I'm glad you were able to experience the work of a doctor at TGEN. Goodluck on your summer research!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for teaching us so much about genetic and exome sequencing! I'll miss reading up on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anjalee! I've had so much fun learning about sequencing and your senior project experience through your blog! It's good to hear you enjoyed the internship so much. Good luck for your presentation!

    ReplyDelete