Friday, January 13, 2017

Anjalee Jajoo

Hello everyone and welcome to my Senior Project blog! I’m Anjalee Jajoo, a senior at Basis Scottsdale. During our third trimester of senior year, Basis students are given the opportunity to explore our passions through an internship or research project in a real world setting. But, before I go into that, I guess you should know a little bit about me.


In my free time, I love binge watching (and re-binge watching) How I Met Your Mother, Grey’s Anatomy, and House of Cards. Academically, I’m obsessed with Biology and Anatomy - I got a little too excited when we were dissecting fetal pigs.


Growing up, my parents always fostered my desire to explore new places and cultures. Traveling has always been a huge part of my life and I've been fortunate enough to spend most of my summers and some winters abroad.


The two weeks I spent in Thailand was one of my favorite summer vacations. I loved everything about Thailand: exploring the beautiful temples and doing touristy things like seeing the emerald Buddha, drinking coconut water in the floating markets of Bangkok, and snorkeling in the crystal clear waters of Hong Island. As my love for traveling continues to blossom, so does my love for trying new cuisines. Thai food has always been a family favorite but unfortunately the Pad Thai at Osha Thai here in Scottsdale doesn't compare :(


This past summer though, my most in interesting travel was only a forty minute drive away to a local government clinic dedicated to pediatrics. I shadowed Dr. Narayanan, a pediatric neurologist who volunteers his time at the clinic, but works at a private practice which is in association with the T-Gen Institute. During this five-week summer internship, I was able to witness dozens of rare neurological diseases including: a girl with a mutation in her potassium channels, twins with the inability to produce dopamine, a boy with such an intense brain injury that he had to be transported into the clinic via stretcher.


So now, moving onto my Senior Research Project, and what I will be doing for the next ten weeks. Dr. Narayanan uses genomic sequencing to diagnose children who are suffering from rare neurological diseases, and help them come up with a more personalized treatment plan. During my time working with him at the Center for Rare Childhood Disorders (C4RCD), I will be learning about family exome sequencing, its benefits and shortcomings, and how to analyze the data of the sequencing to determine what is causing a patient's disorder. To find about more details about my project, you can find my project proposal linked on the right hand side.

As trimester two comes to a close, I am more and more excited to start this research project and share it with you! Please check in every week for more updates!

- Jajoo Out



20 comments:

  1. Anjalee,

    Good work here! I find this project, and your introduction about traveling in particular, incredibly interesting and worthwhile. Since this is basically an intro to your work and personal background, I do not have any pressing comments at this time. Great work here, I look forward to future posts!

    -JW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Anjalee,I'm glad you are contextualizing your work with who you are as a person and thus giving the reader an idea as to how that shapes you as a researcher.

    -Asher Molk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your research seems like it will be fascinating Anjalee! I was just wondering what exactly your research question specifically entails. Is your main goal to investigate the best ways of analyzing sequencing data? I'm excited to keep reading about your senior project experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shreya,

      My research is actually to learn how they use sequencing to diagnose a patient with a rare neurological disorder. So, I'll basically be learning about how they use the data from the sequencing to find the gene(s) that are causing the disease.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to follow your blog! Although it's hard to hear about children with mutations or diseases that don't allow them to live a normal life, I'm glad we can learn something from them in order to better treat children in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stirling,

      The hardest part of my internship over the summer was seeing the little kids suffering. But, it was really great to see how hard the doctors worked to make their lives better and improve their quality of life.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Hi Anjalee!

    THis sounds like a very interesting project! It also sounds hard to cope with little kids having these diseases. Are these diseases life-threatening? Also, how does the family exome sequencing help the kids get better?

    Hope to hear more good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brent,

      Of the cases I have seen so far none of the diseases have been life threatening, but the quality of life is incredibly poor for them. The exome sequencing helps to figure out which gene is mutated in order to diagnose their condition.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Hey Anjalee! Great first post! The news of these kids with these diseases is very hard to hear. However, the fact that we can learn more about how to treat these kids better is great. I am really excited to see where your research takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anirudh,

      It's definitely hard to see these kids struggling. But, watching the doctors work to help the kids was really great!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Hi Anjalee! I am highly interested in this project as I have a passion for biology as well. I think it's great that you're tying in your interests to the genomic aspect behind these common neurological diseases. I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aparna,

      Thanks for choosing to follow my blog! But, the exome sequencing is actually only beneficial when used to diagnose rare neurological diseases.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Hi Anjalee! This seems like a really neat project. As one that is interested in Biology as well, I look forward to seeing what you find during your time researching at the Center for Rare Childhood Disorders. I can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackson!

      Thanks for choosing to follow my blog!

      Delete
  9. Hi Anjalee!
    This project interested me from the very first description you gave about it. I know that T-Gen is a very respectable and prestigious, so I am happy that you can perform research at T-Gen. I especially look forward to your research work regarding these childhood disorders. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gokul,

      I was also really excited to be able to work with T-Gen!

      Thanks for choosing to follow my blog!

      Delete
  10. Hi Anjalee,
    Sorry for the delayed response. As a person who is interested in research and especially biological research, your blog has especially piqued my interest. Good luck on your research, I am excited to see what follows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anjalee, reading your update was intriguing to say the least. It's good you were able to expand your patient range by seeing a child. Out of curiosity, in what ways does determining exome sequencing for a child, differ from an adult. Best Wishes, Vishesh.

    ReplyDelete